Pages

Monday, October 28, 2013

Jerusalem Artichokes and the Root Chakra



I so enjoy Jerusalem Artichokes. I love that they bloom in the fall when other flowers have lost their petals and leaves are beginning to change colour and fall off. I love that they have such thin stems yet grow so tall. I love that they grow together and you can get lost in their beauty and their strength. I am intrigued that their roots that are actual artichokes.

These flowers are a metaphor for me of the grounding we need to grow and reach our potential. How our roots and grounding provide us strength to grow and blossom.

In yoga the chakras are the energy centres. The root chakra is located at the base of the spine. When we balance our root chakra, where our grounding energy is, we are better able to reach our potential. In September I focussed my practice on grounding through asana (postures) and meditation. Off the mat I also engaged in prayer and reflection that brought me back to my roots, to what sustains me so that I can grow and blossom.


... Be like the flower
reaching up to the sun,
straight stemmed like a column.
Be open, ready to accept all things without fear
and you will not lack light on your way.

From "How to Pray" by St. Seraphin of Sarov b. 1754


No comments:

Post a Comment